Tuesday, October 31, 2006

How To Waste $14.99

Good evening, blog reader. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find a way to spend fourteen dollars and ninety-nine cents in a way that is more senseless than buying Mission: Impossible III. Many have failed in this attempt and it will be a true miracle if you succeed.

Many of the unfortunate few who chose to flush, er, pay to see M:i:III in the theaters have said that it was the best of the trilogy. And I'm tempted to believe them. I loved the intrigue of Brian De Palma's original Mission: Impossible, and John Woo's stylization made M:I-2 a joy ride I'll glady take again and again. Two successes in my book that would have normally had me drooling in anticipation for the third installment. But even though the DVD is out today, it will still be a long time before I ever see J.J. Abrams' spin on the franchise.

Let's face it. Tom Cruise has turned into a total whack job. The whole TomKat romance started just as War of the Worlds and Batman Begins were building publicity steam. Coincidence? Possibly, but I don't personally believe it. Then Tom jumped on Oprah's couch. Katie converted to Scientology. Tom publicly ripped on Brooke Shields for medically treating her postpartum depression. And then there was Baby Suri that nobody saw for months (I'm convinced they spent that time finding a baby to rent for that photo shoot). The string of events surrounding Tom Cruise in the past year and a half is just so freakishly bizarre that even Tom's own employer fired him to gain some distance from his weirdness. Paramount/Viacom Chairman Sumner Redstone actually held Tom's antics liable for M:i:III's poor showing at the box office.

I'm living proof of Redstone's claim, and I know I'm not the only one who boycotted the movie because Tom Cruise is a Fruit Loop. But I'm not stopping there. I intend to boycott the DVD as well, which will really put my principles to the test. I'm a huge home theater buff. I'd rather watch a movie in my wall-rattling surround sound setup than jockey for elbow room in a crowded theater any day. But the only time M:i:III will be disturbing my neighbors is if it's borrowed, downloaded, or on network TV. No way am I giving another dime to Tom or his Kat. Now I don't expect people to join me on my crazy crusades, but if you think Tom is nuts, speak with your wallets and don't give him your money. There are better things to spend it on. Like socks.

I believe this message has already self-destructed.

2 comments:

andi said...

Good call. Not to mention that once again, his girlfriend is taller than he is. Something is wrong with that if he doesn't chime in and say, "Honey, please don't wear heels tonight. It makes me look like a toddler when you hover over me like that."

Scratch Subtle said...

This will require wasting a little more than $14.99, but it's also probably more entertaining!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mystery-Box_W0QQitemZ110048742436QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1467QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It would be like Christmas or your birthday and day you choose!