Sunday, October 08, 2006

A Phoenix From the Ashes

"Everybody's doing it? That's your excuse?! Well if everybody was jumping off bridges, would you do that too?"

"No, Mom, of course not. But jumping off bridges is different." And it is. Blogging doesn't kill, bridges do. And since my blog isn't about bridges, then there's no harm in making my comeback.

I used to have a blog called Un-Unwritten Rules, hosted right here on Blogspot. It revolved around the concept of putting in writing all the unwritten rules that normal humans just seem to know by instinct for the benefit of the abnormal humans who are apparently unaware of said rules. But it wasn't long before I started to feel like the only rules I could come up with had to do with invasions of personal space. Finally one day, in a fit of creative impulsiveness, I deleted my blog. Boom! Gone!

Uh, almost...

See, along the way I had opted to upgrade to the Blogger Beta. I had gone for bigger and better. And the ominous warning that I would not be able to go back once I upgraded did not deter me. After upgrading, I had a fresh new login and new freedom in customizing my template. All was blissful. Until I deleted my blog.

Everything I had posted after I upgraded disappeared into the ether, as though it had never existed. But anything I had posted prior to upgrading was still there, and for all intents and purposes, it was carved in stone. I couldn't add to it because my old login didn't work anymore, and I couldn't delete it because, according to Blogger, it had already been deleted. But my sitemeter account showed that people were still going there. Daily. Repeat customers checking in every few hours just to see if The Rules had put up something new.

Now I'm not one to let things go to my head. Three visitors a day to a dead blog is hardly what you could call a thriving fanbase. But those three visitors were loyal, and so for their sakes, whoever they are, The Rules is back, and The Rules is here to blog.

After all, everybody's doing it.

Update: It only took a quick email to The Blogger Team. Within 24 hours, Un-Unwritten Rules was gone. I wish I had at least saved the couple of posts that were there so I could recreate them here, but alas. I'll just have to see if I can recreate their greatness here.

1 comment:

andi said...

I'm so glad you are back! I missed the cranky and intolerant (although I can experience that daily at school...HEYYYY, does your names start with C and end with okely?