Thursday, November 02, 2006

Seal It Up

On a recent trip to the store, I purchased a few items. Among them was a bag of brown sugar (to make eating my oatmeal tolerable), beef jerky (to make Friday night tolerable), and new socks (because socks are better than Tom Cruise). Yet it wasn't until I got home that I made the striking discovery that all three products had something in common: resealable bags.

A resealable zipper on the first two products makes perfect sense. A resealable bag helps keep brown sugar from going stale and it lets you lock away that beef jerky aroma before others smell it and come ask you if they can have some. But the need for a zipper on a bag of socks completely baffled me. I've never had the need to keep socks fresh, nor have I ever had anyone smell my socks and come ask me if they can have one. Such an oddity renders me weak, and only Google can restore my powers. So I set out on an online quest to find the reasoning behind resealable socks.

The first thing I found out is that the zipper bag is made by Zip-Pak. According to their site, the Hanes bag features their webless zipper, which they say is great for cheese, produce, and personal products. I guess socks could be considered personal products, though I wouldn't say they're quite as personal as underwear (which, coincidentally, are also available in a resealable bag). Interesting information, but it still didn't reveal the benefit of resealable socks. So on with the search!

Next thing I came across was a site called This Is Broken, where they review things that are poorly designed or executed. The resealable socks they review are Fruit of the Loom, but the concept is the same. Yet still no explanation as to why. A quick read of the comments there shows that everyone is as confused as I am. I take comfort in not being the only one who is all bent out of shape about this. It makes me feel a little less wierd. In my search, I came across one example after another of bloggers asking the same answerless question.

If I were feeling really enterprising, I would have gone directly to the source (stay tuned for the Lunchables saga, where I did just that), but fortunately someone has already done the dirty work for me. This guy contacted Hanes and their reply was:
The reasealable bags are for consumers to be able to open the bag and bag and view the product.


That's it. That's the reason. I was expecting something grand and exciting, but I guess you can't really get too exciting with crew socks. Lunchables, on the other hand....

5 comments:

Bone Junior said...

Now I can check that off my list of things to do.

Kaimor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Rules said...

Hey look, my first comment spammer! Kaimor felt it necessary to leave a comment completely unrelated to this post which served no purpose other than to provide links to his own blogs. To that I say, "BALEEETED!"

andi said...

Can you only delete other people's comments on the new beta blogger? Because that might come in handy sometime.

em said...

i wanna know why OREOS don't come in resealable bags yet! or graham crackers! those things go staler than stale in 2 days. riddle me that.